Techniques for building self-esteem
Strategies for Building Self-Esteem
What is self-esteem?
Self-esteem refers to an individual’s sense of their own worth and value, and confidence in their abilities. Here are some techniques that can help improve self-esteem:
- Challenge unhelpful thoughts. Negative thoughts can damage your self-esteem. It can be helpful to challenge these thoughts with regard to how realistic they are and replace them with more balanced and realistic thoughts.
- Remember you don’t have to pay attention to negative thoughts. Mindfulness can help you let go of negative thoughts, therefore reducing their impact on you.
- Practice self-compassion. It helps to be kind and compassionate to yourself and to recognise effort not just outcome. Treat yourself like you would do a friend.
- Focus on your strengths and find ways to use these in your everyday life.
- Setting SMART goals (specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and timely) and working towards these can help build your self-esteem.
- Do things that you like or make you feel happy whether you are good at them or not.
- Choose to surround yourself with positive people. The people we choose to spend time with can have a big impact on how we see the world, other people and ourselves. Surrounding yourselves with others who are positive and encouraging can help you feel better.
- Practice self-care. It is hard to feel good about yourself if you are not taking care of yourself. Making sure that you eat well, sleep enough, exercise and having enough down time are important to feel good in and about yourself.
For personalised support with a psychologist or therapist, you can contact us on 07 3254 0333 to schedule an appointment.
Download the PDF Tip Sheet